- The Number Rods consist of a series of ten graduated rods all with the same cross-section with lengths ranging from 10cm to 1m, each decimeter is marked by alternating red and blue paint.
- The Number Rods are used to introduce the child to counting to 10, and visually associate the numbers with the quantity.
- This teaches numeral recognition, quantity and addition readiness and to develop an understanding of the quantitative relationship between numbers.
- They are the first stage in the Montessori Maths materials.
- They offer an early maths experience of comparison, and the opportunity to use vocabulary of length.
- Count reliably up to 10 everyday objects.
- Recognize numerals 1 to 9. Use language such as ?more? or ?less? to compare two numbers.
- Find one more or one less than a number from 1 to 10.