Counter Cards - 55 Counters
- Carry the material to a mat. Lay out the numeral cards at the bottom of the mat in random order.
- Find the card with the numeral "1", place it in the upper left corner of the mat.
- Find the next numeral card, then place a hand next to the first card to measure the space between the two.
- Continue until all the numeral cards are placed along the top of the mat in the correct order.
- Place one counter beneath the center of the numeral card "1".
- Place two counters side by side beneath the numeral card "2".
- Continue placing the appropriate number of counters beneath each numeral card. Place the counters in pairs, side-by-side. In the case of odd numbers, place the last counter centered below the bottom pair.
- Show the child that some in some of the numbers, each of the counters has a partner. Slide your finger down the space in the middle from the top to the bottom.
- Show the child that in some of the numbers there is one counter left over with no partner. Slide your finger down the space in the middle, but stop when you get to the single counter blocking the end.